Nicole Atkins & the Family
Thursday, July 1 · view days & times
Price: $10-$80 per table or lawn square
Venue: Highmark Blue Shield Community Stage on the Air Products Town Square
- Soul, psychedelic, Americana
- Artist Website: nicoleatkins.com
- Facebook: Click Here | Twitter: @NicoleAtkins | Instagram: nicoleatkins
In each song she creates, Nicole Atkins reveals her incredible power to transport listeners to a much more charmed time and space. On Italian Ice, the New Jersey-bred singer/songwriter conjures the romance and danger and wild magic of a place especially close to her heart: the Jersey Shore in all its scrappy beauty. Inspired by the boardwalk’s many curiosities—the crumbling Victorian mansions, the legendary funhouse, the Asbury Park rock-and-roll scene she played a key part in reviving—Atkins transforms her never-ending fascination into a wonderland of her own making.
For help in capturing the shore’s kinetic spirit, Atkins assembled a studio band whose lineup feels almost mythical. Recorded at the iconic Muscle Shoals Sound Studio in Alabama, Italian Ice finds the Nashville-based artist joined by Spooner Oldham and David Hood (both members of The Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section, who played on classic records from the likes of Aretha Franklin and Etta James), Binky Griptite of The Dap Kings, Jim Sclavunos and Dave Sherman of The Bad Seeds, and drummer McKenzie Smith (St. Vincent, Midlake). With special guests including Spoon frontman Britt Daniel, Seth Avett of The Avett Brothers, Erin Rae, and John Paul White, the album is a testament to Atkins’s uncommon talent for uniting musicians of radically different sensibilities. As Atkins explains, the abundance of collaborations on Italian Ice partly stems from a freak accident in which she stumbled into a sinkhole in a Knoxville parking lot—an incident that left her with a profound longing to fill her life with the people and experiences that bring her the most joy.
Co-produced by Atkins and Ben Tanner of Alabama Shakes, Italian Ice makes brilliant use of its A-list personnel, unfolding in a kaleidoscopic sound that Atkins likens to “an acid trip through my record collection.” At turns as opulent as symphonic pop and gritty as garage punk, the album wanders into shades of psych-rock and honky-tonk and girl-group melodrama, endlessly spotlighting the tightly honed musicianship and unbridled originality at heart of Atkins’s artistry.
How it's going to work:
- One table or lawn space seats up to four people (tables cannot be combined and larger parties need to make multiple reservations and will have to be seated in groups of 4). The Artist will be performing on the Highmark Blue Shield Community Stage on the Air Products Town Square. Guests with lawn spaces will be able to enjoy the performance on a digital screen which will be broadcasted to from the stage.
- There's a $10 minimum per person.
- Yes! You'll be able to enjoy your favorite adult beverages with dinner (we recommend the new beer "Flight," from our friends at Yuengling).
- Both table and lawn spot tickets are good for single parties of up to four people, with campus attendance limited to ensure proper safe social distancing and follow all CDC, state and city health & safety guidelines. Air Products Town Square guests can enjoy dinner available from the ArtsQuest Center menu. Levitt Pavilion lawn spots will be spaced accordingly to follow safe social distancing and food and beverages can be ordered via the Mack Truck Stop and bar on the lawn. No outside food or drink is allowed... because that's how restaurants work.
Health and Safety Guidelines
The health and safety of our patrons, vendors, volunteers, staff, and everyone attending our campus, buildings, and events is of the utmost importance to ArtsQuest and we have established a number of best practices and procedures based on guidelines from the CDC, City of Bethlehem and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Thursday, July 1, 2021 @ 7:30 PM 07/01/2021 07:30 PM 07/01/2021 10:30 PM 15 Nicole Atkins & the Family https://www.steelstacks.org/event/10729/nicole-atkins/ Highmark Blue Shield Community Stage on the Air Products Town Square false MM/DD/YYYY
Venue InformationHighmark Blue Shield Community Stage on the Air Products Town Square
101 Founders Way
Bethlehem, PA 18015
map & directions